Solo Travel Becoming More Popular
Posted on March 15, 2005As the population ages and travel packages for singles improve more travelers are opting to travel alone. Fodor's conducted a survey of 1,000 people and found that 4 out of 10 have traveled alone for pleasure. The majority of Americans see benefits in traveling solo, but there is still a stigma attached to doing it, for women in particular, according to the new survey from Fodor's Travel Publications.
According to the survey, eighty percent of Americans agree that traveling alone for pleasure would allow them the freedom to do what they want, when they want to do it, and 71% feel that traveling alone would be a fun way to meet new people. Still, 55% of Americans agree it is more acceptable for a man to travel alone than for a woman to do so -- and equal proportions of men and women share this view. Forty-four percent of Americans agree that traveling alone is perceived as odd. And men and women both feel strongly that eating meals alone would be one of the most difficult things about traveling alone, 39% and 42% respectively.
Lea Lane, the editor of Fodor's, Solo Traveler: Tales and Tips for Great Trips, offers these tips for how to have a positive solo traveling experience:
- Cities are good destinations for solo travelers, they are filled with single people and you are less likely to stand out.
- If you're worried about eating alone, have your big meal at lunch when more people eat by themselves, or sit at the sushi bar, or better yet dress like a diva and make people wonder who you are!
- Cruises and spas are perfect options for solo travelers, offering convenience, relaxation, and all-inclusive pricing. They give you the choice of being by yourself, or to do things with a group.
- If you see people standing around with a camera, ask if they'd like you to take their picture, it's a great way to meet people.
- Find something you like to do from bicycling, to cooking, to camping and plan around it. There are many group tours and programs that you can join, and at least you know you'll be with like-minded people.