New Barbie Sheroes Include Chloe Kim, Patty Jenkins, Bindi Irwin and Frida Kahlo
Posted on March 12, 2018
Mattel has expanded its Sheroes program with 14 new members. Chloe Kim, Patty Jenkins, Bindi Irwin and Frida Kahlo were among the modern-day role models honored through the Barbie Sheroes program. They were honored with a one-of-a-kind doll made in their likeness.Lisa McKnight, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Barbie, says in the announcement, "As a brand that inspires the limitless potential in girls, Barbie will be honoring its largest line up of role models timed to International Women's Day because we know that you can't be what you can't see. Girls have always been able to play out different roles and careers with Barbie and we are thrilled to shine a light on real life role models to remind them that they can be anything."
Here is a list of the new Shero members:
- Patty Jenkins, Filmmaker, USA: The first woman in history to helm a film with a budget in excess of 100 million dollars for Wonder Woman.
- Chloe Kim, Snowboarding Champion, USA: A first generation Asian-American snowboarding champion and the youngest woman to win a gold medal in snowboarding at the 2018 winter games at age 17.
- Bindi Irwin, Conservationist, Australia: An award-winning wildlife conservationist and celebrity who inherited her father's passion for wildlife and is dedicated to inspiring the next generation to make a difference in the world.
- Nicola Adams, Boxing Champion, UK – Two-time gold medalist who is Great Britain's most successful female boxer of all time. She is the only female boxer to have held all four amateur titles.
- Çağla Kubat, Windsurfer, Turkey: Champion windsurfer and member of the Fenerbahçe sailing and windsurfing team. She founded her own windsurfing school for young surfers.
- Hélène Darroze, World-Renowned Chef, France: Inspirational fourth-generation French chef with three restaurants and two Michelin stars.
- Hui Ruoqi, Volleyball Champion, China: Fifteenth Captain of the Chinese women's national volleyball team who also won gold in the 2016 summer games
- Leyla Piedayesh, Designer and Entrepreneur, Germany: Iranian immigrant and founder of fashion label lala Berlin.
- Lorena Ochoa, Professional Golfer, Mexico: Athlete, mother, entrepreneur and promoter of golf in Mexico/
- Martyna Wojciechowska, Journalist, Poland: TV presenter, magazine editor, author, director and the second Polish woman to conquer the Seven Summits. Sara Gama, Soccer Player, Italy: Captain of Juventus and Italian national soccer team, member of the Federal Board and President of Commission for the development of women's soccer
- Xiaotong Guan, Actress and Philanthropist, China: Ambassador for "World Life Day," a joint campaign by the United Nations Environment Program, International Fund for Animal Welfare and The Nature Conservancy. She is known as the "Nation's Daughter" in China
- Yuan Tan, Prima Ballerina, China: Prima ballerina and principal dancer at the San Francisco Ballet and guest principal dancer at the Hong Kong Ballet.
- Vicky Martin Berrocal: Entrepreneur and Fashion Designer, Spain. She leads the creative direction of Victoria company with collections that include festive costumes, flamenco dresses, gowns, handbags and jewelry