Millions of People Are Finding God Online
Posted on June 25, 2004Religious information, practice and study is one of the main reasons people use the Internet, according to a recent study. A new study conducted by Pew Internet and American Life Project found that over 28 million Americans have used the Internet for a religious purpose. And there are plenty of websites for people of all faiths to choose from. According to Websense Inc., there are over 77,000 websites dedicated to a particular religion. There are also interfaith sites like Beliefnet.com, which has 4 million subscribers.
The PEW survey revealed the following information about U.S. web users:
- 38% have sent and received email with spiritual content
- 35% have sent or received online greeting cards related to religious holidays
- 32% have gone online to read news accounts of religious events and affairs
- 21% have sought information about how to celebrate religious holidays
- 17% have looked for information about where they could attend religious services
- 7% have made or responded to online prayer requests
- 7% have made donations to religious organizations or charities.