2008 Oscar Fashions That Worked
Posted on February 25, 2008
Last night's Oscar fashions featured a bold, clear palette without those muddy colors that we despise so much. Red was the color of the evening: there were some gorgeous red gowns. Black made a comeback, as did white. Everyone else was in jewel tones. We weren't as crazy about the jewelry this year, although some people got it right. Here's a look at two stars that knocked it out of the park.
- Jennifer Garner stunned onlookers with her black silk taffeta Oscar de la Renta fishtail gown. She accessorized with diamonds from Van Cleef & Arpels, a clutch from diamonds, Roger Vivier clutch, cat eye liner, pale lips and a touseled updo.
- Marion Cotillard won Best Actress for her portrayal of legendary French chanteuse Edith Piaf in La Vie en Rose.
She wore a stunning fishscale, fishtale dress made by Jean Paul Gaultier. Marion accessorized with a Chopard diamond necklace and ring, and a clutch by Daniel Swarovski. Like many of the women, she wore a deep side part in her hair and had silver sparkly eyeshadow.
- Renee Zellweger looked positively ethereal in a stunning silver hand embroidered Carolina Herrera gown. She accessorized with a gorgeous Cartier diamond pin and no other jewelry. We like her short haircut: it's fun and flatters her face.
- Katherine Heigl looked every inch the movie star with her Marilyn Monroe hairdo and red lipstick. Her silk georgette column gown was by Escada. She finished off the look with jewelry by Ryan Ryan and Jimmy Choo shoes.
- Tilda Swinton won the Oscar for Best Actress in a Supporting Role for her performance in Michael Clayton. Ah, Tilda. Her incredibly unusual living arrangement (older husband, ten year old twins plus hot boyfriend) amazes and astounds. Nearly six feet tall, she often refuses to wear much makeup, wears her hair short and then asks reporters why people view her as somewhat androgynous. She's an original and we like that. But, alas, her black asymmetrical, shapeless dress was not working for us at all. On the bright side was her fabulous jewelry. Tilda wore a one-of-a-kind, award winning Sahara bracelet and a Mimosa ring. The Sahara bracelet, which evokes the dunes of the desert, is crafted by hand in 18 Kt. white gold and has 1865 diamonds totaling 47.41 carats. The Mimosa ring is made in 18 Kt. white gold and has 4.21 carats of diamonds.
- Sharon Stone appeared at Elton John's after party in a white suit accessorized with Damiani diamond bracelets and rings from the Gomitolo collection. Did she give them back at the end of the night? If we were wearing them there would be quite a scene as the bodyguards attempt to pry the jewels from our hands.
- Expectant mom Cate Blanchett was nominated for two awards at the Oscars: or Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress. Alas, she didn't win either one. But she looked fabulous in a dark blue satin gown by Dried Van Noten. She accessorized the look with a gorgeous necklace by Lorraine Schwartz and a Roger Vivier clutch.
- Nicole Kidman, who is also expecting, looked stunning as usual. She wore a custom-made black Balenciaga gown and a 1,399-carat diamond necklace designed by L'Wren Scott. Her clutch was by Bottega Veneta. Husband Keith Urban stuck close by as her led her down the red carpet.
Here's a video with some of the stars on the 2008 Oscars red carpet from People.