GE Designs Futuristic Sleigh for Santa Claus
Posted on December 27, 2009
Santa Claus delivered his presents this year the old fashioned way but in the future he may want to upgrade his technology. GE designed a futuristic sleigh for Santa in case he decides he needs a more high-tech sleigh.
Here are some features of the sleigh design revealed by GE scientists:
- A thin cooling solution that can improve jet engine aerodynamics and outfit Santa with a cooler, thinner laptop.
- Air Traffic Management Technology to help Santa and the reindeer steer clear of the planes en route on Christmas Eve.
- An Electric Traction Motor with MEMS switching technology to quickly and efficiently transfer power of Santa's sleigh over to the electric motor to give the reindeer a break.
- 3-D printed sleigh blades for a more aerodynamic design to improve energy efficiency paired with a tough, flexible fabric to give Santa greater lift and maneuverability.
- An upgraded sleigh frame made from GE's high temperature Ceramic Matrix Composites (CMCs) that will save energy and time by enabling flight into outer space and back.
- GE's Durathon battery for reliably powering the accouterments in Santa's sleigh. The battery can function under extreme temperature conditions.